A log of all in-game rule and technical changes made to the Reddit Minecraft servers. This is intended to make it easier to keep the entire staff up to date with the servers.
- muldoonaz update:
- Moved all the live servers behind a transparent bridging firewall.
- Firewall logging is setup for port 25565
- Snort is running
- Possibly thinking about creating a syslog server for public log access
- malloc update:
- Watched muldoonaz do some crazy stuff to fix an issue wherein the vSphere swap would eat up the space on the SSD, causing out-of-space errors randomly bringing down creative, survival, and pve.
- Migrated BigBrother databases from all three servers to the new web VM, killed MySQL on the individual servers. Was causing random out-of-memory errors killing the java process or preventing it from properly starting.
- Miscellaneous cleanup in the home folder on each server, tarred/gziped old stuff, moved to backups. Relocated lwc.db into ~/server and updated config file appropriately.
- Temporary C & S maps ended
- Creative, Survival, PvE switched to latest version of Bukkit, working with all plugins, previous maps loaded.
- New version of bukkit working with 1.3 tested on c.nerd.nu:1337.
- Fixed permissions in worldguard (was mods not moderator in groups to exclude).
- Lava flowing, can't stop.
- WorldGuard borked, protected areas allow anyone to break blocks yet not place them.
- Changed wooden axe back to wooden shovel
- Changed string back to wooden sword
- Minecraft 1.3 update. All plugins broken.
- CREATIVE: Temp map
- SURVIVAL: Temp map
- PvE: Updated the Staff Board to reflect current wiki Staff data.
- PvE: Added a Help Board to spawn.
- PvE: Spawn was not symmetrical. Fixed.
- Creative: Switched to Bukkit. Reset the map.
- PvE: added cartograph to run on a regular schedule (http://nerd.nu/pve/map/)
- Creative, Survival, PvE: fixed usage stats
- CHAOS: map reset (http://nerd.nu/forum/index.php?p=/discussion/188/reset-this-horrible-map)
- SURVIVAL, PVE, CREATIVE: Ban list and mod list syncing across all servers
- SURVIVAL, PVE: /ml works between servers
- PVE: Magic carpet enabled for moderators
- PVE: Copied proper lwc.db into /dev/shm/server, re-symlinked ~/server to /dev/shm/server, and backed up the previous Bukkit server in ~/server to a tar.gz in ~/backups, tagged with datestamp.
- PVE: Server showing same strange java instabilities as survival. I'm running jrar on it now to catch all the problems and we can investigate soon.
- malloc note: Noticed the server would crash immediately after Joe_ would login. We've seen this before with other users, don't believe it's malicious. Resetting the player data for the user fixed the instability.
- Chaos: This is down, no /dev/shm/server i've copied ~/server_backup to /dev/shm/server and updated the hmod version to get it running. Feel free to correct this as I don't know how old that world map is etc.
- malloc note: Anything in /dev/shm gets removed on restart since it's in a volatile ramdisk. It has to be recopied over anytime the server is restarted. I haven't done any admin-ing on chaos since the server was moved, and I'm not even sure if I know the login. But my guess would be that the box was simply restarted.
I think it's due to a problem in backup.sh causing the server to delete itself after it backs up. I'm not sure. Commented out the line i think is the issue.
- PVE: Installed Stargate plugin and configured all stargates, approximate coords:
- North = -2052, 134
- South = 2161, 19
- East = -53, -2062
- West = -49, 2061
- Spawn = 43, 10
- PVE: Fixed stargate so it was included in server.properties
- PVE: Added NPC "Laggy The Trader" at adminosphere trading 1 block lapis for 5 diamonds or 1 lightstone for same.
- PVE: Switched over to hey0
- PVE: Discussion on using a trader NPC mod for lapis and nether materials
- GENERAL: Investigation into the non-functional logs
- SURVIVAL: Removed the PvE city
- SURVIVAL: New rules enacted, creeper-free & sanctuary for groups of 20+ users. Hostile takeover rule scrapped due to unpopularity and difficulty to work with.
- SURVIVAL: Protections discussion to be finalised tomorrow.
- SURVIVAL: Possible removal of login protection in future, giving unfair advantage to those who disconnect in combat.
- PVE: Some discussion on PvP arenas. Will be technically possible with the switch to hey0 and cuboid.
- PVE: Decision made to switch over to hey0 from Bukkit. Stability issues with Bukkit, if hey0 is being updated again our old reliable configuration can be used.
- CREATIVE: Changed warps.txt to remove fail warps also made it unwritable to the plugin.
- CREATIVE: Chat pulled from in-game and sent to an IRC channel at #rpubc on irc.freenode.net
- SURVIVAL: Death messages enabled
- SURVIVAL: Some discussion on rules: PvE areas & protection.
- Get rid of hostile takeover rule
- Leaning towards removal of all PvE areas, in favour of granting creeper & sanctuary protection to groups of 20+ unique users.
- Discussion of protection merits - rare material protection, and the risk of creating safe areas due to users blocking their doors - unresolved