Creative Future Planning
With each reset of the server, we find new things to refine about how the server is run. The purpose of this page is to collect together all the ideas and issues that come up during the current Creative map in preparation for the next map.
Sign your comments with
- Drop the ground level by 20m to give a buildable height of 84m. Bedrock to sky projects would take 2/3 of the time to get to dig out to bedrock.
- I had this idea I think this is a really good one. Another idea is to have different map types in each quadrant. For example we can have flat lands in one, crazy hills pve style in the another etc --Cmdrtebok 13:49, 16 February 2011 (CST)
- I'd go deeper and drop by 32 (half from sea level), though any drop would be an improvement for most creations. --QuidProQuo 12:11, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- And oceans. We definitely need at least one big ocean, maybe with few tiny islands in it.
- Agreed. Preferably a really deep ocean (30m or so would be great) --forty_two 20:21, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- 1 layer of bedrock rather than 6. --QuidProQuo 12:11, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- This will be important if the ground level is dropped --forty_two 20:21, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- Have a square grid of preset warps 1000m apart. This would cut down on the number of warps needed on the server for minor creations, but would also ensure a healthy spread of building across the map. Here's how it would work:
- While I think this is a great idea I think the transit project should take the place of warps, I am weary of setting up too much in advance for the users on the creative map. I think if they want to get out there at first they should build the roads/trains then we set warps. --Cmdrtebok 13:49, 16 February 2011 (CST)
- I think towns should pop up naturally. Do not force people to certain locations, they are going to build where it is best. This also means that your warp spots might be in the middle of a desert or a lake. Caleberx 20:59, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- Micro-spawn points buildings (podium, park?) of some sort on each of the warp locations.
- A large protected area around each warp, as to reduce claustrophobia of buildings right around the warp. It's a large map, no harm in having a decent sized area free (50x50, 75x75?)
- With the simplicity of the warp grid layout, we could have a scale map built, with signs on to indicate major buildings.
- Though it is not our place to tell volunteer organizations like the CTA HOW to build, encourage them to build early and above-ground (without carving the map into too many small spaces in the process) so that the rail systems become a way to see more of the world in the process of moving around.
- There has been CTA discussion about this already; at the moment, we intend to build below-ground as above ground tracks are easy to accidentally have their functionality broken by dropped items or players. We intend to build early though, with rails running N S E W in the same line color they do currently. Our intention is for stations every 1/3 or so the distance from spawn, and branch out from there. -Pilot
- I see no reason the "mini spawnpoints" for the preset warps couldn't be built to also act as entry points to rail stations for CTA. It would make it very easy to connect the railways, you wouldn't have to worry about crossing people's creations, and with 16 preset warp points, each CTA rail station could have its own color. -MBoffin
- Standards proposal for rail design: CTA Standards
- I propose, if this functionality is possible, to have a rules system like that of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare servers. If someone types /rules the rules will spam on their screen. The staff will be able to type !rules to spam the rules publicly or /rules [username] to spam the rules for a specific user. If possible, we could also have functionality to spam specific rules: !rule 1 to spam the first rule publicly and, /rule 1 [username] to spam it to a specific user. This would also work for banned items and staff similarly. This way we would not need so many bulky signs in spawn, we could have three signs that say: Rules: /rules, banned items: /banned, staff: /staff, and Please read the rules and banned item list.
- The main problem of this is the woefully small default chat client, which realistically shows 2 or so lines and then disappears, more if you press the "talk" button again, but it scrolls away as people talk. I would be in favor of a spawn building instead of an open spawn area, facing the rules board, you could then make people exit that building behind the board. The rest of the building could be glass if you want a view of the rest of the spawn area. Edit: The spawn island idea below looks excellent, just make sure the rules board is facing the direction everyone enters the game in. --Tolgar 18:38, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- Agreed with Tolgar on chat size problem. Best to keep a plugin like that for warning specific users/looking up rules. A board at spawn will let new people read the rules better. --forty_two 20:21, 17 February 2011 (CST)
A proper city around spawn (New New Redditon or other)
Remember revision 10? I hate to do this (tootin' my own horn, as it were) even more, but people built in Redditon because it was regular. One of the main complaints about New Reddit City is that it was more of a sculpture showpiece than a city. I suggest that we make yet another Redditon (a different name if we like) around the spawn (the idea lower on the page is great) so that when people spawn in the little glass dome they're presented with a sprawling city of skyscrapers and stuff.
- This would probably require setting out plots etc before opening to the public. I find the spawn area tends to have a rather chaotic layout due to people grabbing spaces, the organised cities come later and further out when people have the time to plan them. --forty_two 20:21, 17 February 2011 (CST)
Oh, also: roads should be three blocks wide. Four-block-wide roads (except main roads) feel way too big for a normal city. Conversely, two-block-wide roads are too small. DemanRisu 06:12, 17 February 2011 (CST)
Another City Idea
NCR spread pretty fast and was triple its initial size within the first 3 days, one of the major problems I had placing roads was, after the initial setup area, you ran into a ton of mountains and non flat areas that needed tunnels/raised highways and what not to encourage people to spread out further. Really close to spawn would be detrimental, you would be griefed more often as you were building/unsure how far you wanted your protection yet. I would be in favor of pretty far from spawn BUT setup a huge area of districts/zones, and police initial construction within. Have districts for shops, skyscrapers, public works buildings (fire/police/hospital, etc) and THEN have a suburb district where people can make their all important "personal house" of specified plot size. Say 20x20 or 30x30 and what not.
NCR started on a bit too small of an area for what it initially became, and by the time the server reached this age, any new construction has no room due to all the other things that butt up against it or we've hit the ocean.
Back to Deman's original idea above about a spawn city though, having a sprawling city around/near spawn would focus new people solely on that, and while it may look initially impressive depending, it's going to limit people's perceptions of what they want to in turn build for themselves.
I would also like to work with ALL the people that are interested in city like construction and make an actual CITY, what we have now for both NCR and New Redditon really just doesn't cut it for me on the map lol. And if we can't make some kind of agreement on the city layouts, then we can at least put the suburb districts in between the 2 or 3 or more, so they are at least connected if we can't reach a design agreement. All we've all made now are small towns that are way over budget for the buildings contained therein =) --Tolgar 19:14, 17 February 2011 (CST)
Sprite Art (8-Bit) Area
I think we should hold off on an official sprite art creation area at the start of this map if we do not have a functional way to make the creations viewable after creation somewhere besides being all jumbled together. If we DO have this functionality with the new Bukkit assuming all goes well, then we should turn one of the flat map borders into the viewing area. That way no one is going to construct things in the way of where we want to display the stuff, there won't be anything behind the sprites and we can make sure the area in front of them is adequate to view an average sprite without being too far from it. It should be a long while before other people gradually construct up to them and it would look best on the map, (just make sure the border we place it on is actually the border you see clearly on the map itself.) --Tolgar 19:31, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- Run a train along it for viewing :) Skuld 21:11, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- A spawn point similar to the one from map revision #8 (Sept-Oct 2010). Large circular lake of water with a smaller circular island in the centre, enclosed with a glass dome. Trees and large rule boards inside. Glass under water tunnel to lead out of the lake.
- We may have to temporarily start the map on a whitelist (for an hour or so), under hMod with cuboid in order to build a large lake, island and dome.
- I kind of like the current spawn, maybe give it more space. But having CTA right underneath the spawn was great when I first came on the server. I was not instantly overwhelmed by all the buildings and trying to walk around. I quickly jumped on CTA and rode around. Caleberx 21:06, 17 February 2011 (CST)
- MBoffin created this on a private server and it would be good to have something similar to indicate Rules and Help:
- We need a post at the top of /r/Minecraft to get users in. The last map started out as a temporary map.
- Just a thought.. is it going to trigger some sort of bot/anti-spam code if we get all our active r-mcpublic/forum/mumble/irc users to upvote a post in a short amount of time, and is this against Reddit rules? Skuld 14:25, 16 February 2011 (CST)
- Essentials - All the basic essentials.
- Permissions - Standard permissions (used by many plugins)
- MagicCarpet - Mod tool
- BorderGuard - Map containment
- WorldGuard - Grief protection
- WorldEdit - Needed by WorldGuard
Stargate - TransportationRedundant with /warp Skuld 15:44, 16 February 2011 (CST)
- BigBrother - Anti Griefing
- IRC Chat - Interact with IRC
- Minecart Mania - minecraft boosters etc
- Alpha Chest - Gives players a virtual chest for extra storage
- Jail - Jail People
- Cuboid - Cuboid plugin (shovel etc.) Do we really need this? (duplicates worldedit functions) --forty_two 16:27, 16 February 2011 (CST)
- Voting Plugin - Allows votes
- properTime - Daylight
- Petition - like mod queue
- Mark Log - Marks Logs for easier retrieval.
- Sign Logger - Anti Grief
- Secure Login - Allows people to play even if minecraft is down (user registration)
- GriefAlert - Logs block interactions
- AntiGrief - Stops certain types of blocks being destroyed
- NoNoClip - Prevent flying, speedhack etc.
- MCDocs - /rules etc.
- Many things are broken due to outdated Bukkit.
- Many people complain when they are banned that they didn't know the rules.
- Is there a way for mods to send an abbreviated list of rules to a player when giving them a warning? 1-and-done warning with a rule list would prevent or alleviate "but I didn't know!" claims in addition to the already proposed re-designed spawn with mega-walls.